Sunday, February 21, 2010

Micah's Grand Entrance

Well, to say the least it has been a memorable experience to have a baby this time around. I have joined the ranks of a club of women that, personally, I didn't really want to join.

Around 3:00 am on February 18, I woke up because I was feeling cold. My thermostat resets it's self to 62 degrees every night at midnight, so i wasn't surprised. I got up to ask Derrick to go turn up the heat ( Derrick was struggling with a bout of insomnia that night, so yes he was still up).I was going back to bed when I had the first contraction. I am used to having contractions at night, it's really common for me, so I didn't think much of it. They continued to come and quickly got to be hurting me so much that I had to get up and walk around. That didn't help. I had Derrick keep track of how far apart they were coming for a few minutes while I kept track of how long they were lasting. We found the guide book that my Doctor's office gave me when We realized that they were only 3 or 4 minutes apart. It said to call the doctor if it lasted for about an hour. they had, so I called. the on call doctor told me to" come on in. We'll check you out, and see what's going on."
That was at 4:04 am. we immediately called Penny to come stay with the kids. I was sitting on the couch trying to breath without screaming, just waiting for her to get here. I suddenly felt a really strong contraction with a lot of pressure. I knew that I had better go back to the bedroom. I told Derrick to go get some towels. He told me that his first thought was " It's gonna get messy!" I laid back on the bed and got ready. I was trying not to push, arching my back and every thing, but it didn't help. My water broke and he started to crown any way so i just stared to push. All I could hear from Derrick was "Oh! Oh, OH, Oh!" It was only two pushes and Micah DeShay Donner was born, looking all slimy and blue tinted with his daddy holding him with a panic stricken look on his face. I told Derrick to hold him head down while I stuck my finger in his mouth to make sure the plug had come out of his mouth. It had, and he did not like me doing this. He had a faint little cry that built up to a decent one. I got Derrick to grab a shoelace and tie off the cord in one spot with the top of the lace and another with the bottom of the lace. then I told him where my sewing scissors were and he cut the cord. We wrapped him up in a towel and a big flannel sheet and I held him very close to me as Derrick covered me up and called an ambulance.
Penny got there round about now and it was a good thing, too. Jaiden still has had his crib in our room, and needless to say, had woken up during all this and gotten an eye full. he needed someone to reassure him, and Bomba was just in the right position to do so. Note : It was only about4:10 when I went back to the room, and 4:15 when Penny got here. Yes, it went that fast. Shortly there after the EMS got here and took Micah and I to the hospital. We were checked out, told we were fine, and admitted. Micah was 7 lbs. 7oz., and 20 inches long.

Derrick finally got to sleep a little bit.

No comments: